Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Weekend Parent Update

Wow; I don't think I expected all the positive feed back and advice that was left on my first post of Weekend Parent. I want to thank everyone for the encouraging words and helpful advice. I think I should give everyone a little more information about what we have been doing about her clothes or lack of them.

First off, I did go out an buy a few pairs of jeans, a bag of socks, and undershirts at Wal-Mart; they are nice but reasonably priced; those she keeps with us. Also, a friend of mine had given her a few track suits; they are a little long but she likes to wear them around the house.

One weekend (sometime in November) she came over with nothing but leggings and bubble skirts; this was not the first time either. I'm sure when I was that age, I wanted to look like Madonna too; the only probably was we were planning to visit my friend, Erin. L dressed herself in pink, peach, brown, and black with hightop sneakers. Needless to say I was embarrassed; so was my guy as this was the first time Erin was going to meet L. Lucky for me, Erin laughed right along with us about the outfit. A few weeks later L admitted that she didn't look good and it made her kind of sad that we laughed at her, she asked if I would help her dress in the future. Please don't take this the wrong way, we didn't laugh in her face; we made comments about the 80's being over. Ever since that weekend, when we are going some where, L will ask me what she should wear or if she picks it out, she will ask if she looks OK. When I help her pick out an outfit, I will say she should wear jeans and either a shirt or sweater or sweatshirt; I do let her decide what shirt she should wear or I give her my opinion.

Recently (the past 2 months) in her suitcase for her weekend with us she has brought over NOTHING to wear; since it had been Christmas break, when we picked her up she would be in her pajamas. Of course, I can't send her home in pajamas and would end up losing a pair of jeans and shirt plus socks, underware, and undershirt we had for her. I'm totally against telling her she has to change out of her clothes back into her "mom's stuff".

After her crying on Christmas, we talked and I did explain to her why she had to leave the clothes with us. Of course she didn't think it was fair and brought up the fact she is only able to wear things 4 days a month. I told her if she can prove she can bring clothes to wear, she would be able to take stuff home. This is the exact same thing I said to her mother.

This past weekend was the first weekend since I spoke to L's mom about helping her and I will say she did help pack and she did have appropriate clothes. Granted, she went a little over board and pack almost everything I had bought in the past few months. But then again, I guess I would rather her have WAY to much then nothing.

No comments: