Friday, January 23, 2009

Eating Out

So much for trying to save money this week; we have ate out EVERY night but Monday! And the worst part is, I know we shouldn't be doing; we talked and said we would rather save up for a weekend trip or something fun. Eating out is fun but we had a HUGE taste of reality on Wednesday after dinner. As I was looking at the dessert menu, which I rarely do, I noticed they had the calorie/fat/carbs count for all the menu items. Ha ha, very funny I thought; but instead I almost cried! I had the appetizer sampler for dinner; hot wings, mozzarella sticks, spinach artichoke dip and something else I didn't eat. Well, if you are a calorie counter you would know that my dinner alone was about 2200 calories! This is where the tears almost made an appearance! This also was a turning point and we figured, if he have already ate the normal calorie count in ONE meal, why not just break the bank and have something sweet too. I have never felt so sick before; my stomach ached from the sweet plus from being full. Granted, I know we went out to eat last night but after TONIGHT no more; well at least for the next week! I'm going to try to cook healthy everyday next week.

2 comments:

valley view farm said...

holy crap! what a disappointment, guess thats why restaurant food tastes so darn good.

Have you thought of cooking ahead of time for the week? Maybe even prepping (chopping and putting ingredients in baggies for the weeks meals) or cooking ahead of time and freezing meals?

A few years ago we bought a big upright freezer (so, yes, we do have a BIG freezer). When I used to work, outside the home that is, I would often cook in really large amounts (ie; a big lasagna or soup) and freeze half of it. I did this often enough that I could just pull a meal out of the freezer in the am before work and it would be thawed when I got home from work. Its easier if you have a huge freezer though...

good luck!

Erin said...

Even if you don't cook "healthy" every night, you will NOT eat as many calories as you do in a restaurant and you will know what is in what you eat...I was amazed when I discovered the differences...as a former So Cal girl, I grew up eating out all the time, so I feel your pain, but you can do it...progress, not perfection!