Friday, January 9, 2009

2009 Goals

I think I decided to blog when I was writing out my goals for 2009. In the past, I would always try to make a resolution to quit some type of bad habit of mine; normally I would fall off the wagon in the first few months, then I would give up. After reading so many blogs from so many different people, I decided goal making was a much better way to be successful! So here are my goals ....

- Appreciate what I have; I have lots of nice items. I am going to take care of what I have whether that’s putting things away when I use them or displaying things.

- Avoid undue drama; avoid situations that are known to cause problems: the family drama of he said/she said. Remove the negative influences in my life; I don't need any one pulling me down.

- Avoid the excuses; I make excuses as to why I’m tired or broke, but the reasons are mostly avoidable like staying out too late during the week, stopping by the bar, going out to dinner when there are groceries at home or just being lazy and not doing the research on things I want or places I want to go.

- Shop smart; again, I have lots of nice items, there is no reason to buy the same item twice. Look for sales or coupons. A good deal is only good if I need it.

- Recycle more; look for ways to re-use items, take canvas bags to grocery store or mall. Sell un-wanted/un-used things on Craigslist.

- Cook; I have tons of cookbooks and a new Kitchenaid, start cooking from scratch, look for healthy ideas. Bake more bread, cakes and cookies. Give them to office or friends; everyone loves fresh baked goods.

- Declutter; I’m sure I do not need every book I have ever read; add titles to Paperback Book Swap or donate to thrifty store. Throw away unneeded magazines and old newspapers. Use old cards for scrapbooking and recycle the rest. Work on one room a month to clean out and paint or decorate to make comfortable.

o January: Dining room
o February: Entry way
o March: pantry
o April: hall closet … cut back all trees in yard
o May: Lyndsie’s room … work on front yard; new bark, new fence
o June: Master bedroom
o July: Master bedroom … work on back yard;
o August: Garage … work on side of house, front extra drive way
o September: Kitchen … add deck roof over part
o October: Kitchen
o November: Living room
o December: Living room

- Mini-vacations; take a weekend getaway every other month. Either the beach, Portland, Eastern Washington, maybe Canada. Look for a nice bed and breakfast with things to do close by. Invite other couples or friends to join to split gas costs.

I hope by having this in print it will help me stick to my goals. I think these are things to work on all year and then next year, they will just be the norm.

1 comment:

valley view farm said...

Your goals sound great, and reasonable! I need to work on bringing my shopping bags when I clothing shop and to the craft stores. I always bring them to the grocery store, but I stop there...

Great idea on keeping time for yourself (the mini vacations). Can't wait till Syd is older and we can do the same thing!