Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just stopped for toothpaste

Wow, I never realized how hard it was just to stop at the dreaded Wal-Mart for just 2 items. Before I left my house, I flipped through the coupons I haven't looked at yet to see if there was anything that I needed and could save a few bucks on. And of course, there was ... 3 different coupons for razors; each $2 off. I knew I need one and so did my boyfriend, so at least I was going to save $4 total. But what I didn't think about was the rest of what I was going to end up with ....

Since I went to the grocery store right after work, I didn't think about taking anything out of the freezer for dinner; 1st problem, had to buy fresh meat, 2nd problem, once I figured out what I was going to cook, I had to get all the supplies. I was just going to do a quick hamburger; I needed sliced cheese, tomatoes, buns, then decided to get some baked beans. Oh yeah, then the milk for some healthy shakes. I did think twice about a few other items; pickles, lettuce, a special marinade; I am proud of myself for saying NO to un-needed items.

After all said and done, $73 at Wal-Mart. To add to the useless dinner items, I needed cat food $10 and Duraflame logs $17. Ok, maybe the logs were not a NEEDED item but we really like to sit and watch TV with a fire, plus then I can turn the heat down.

How does everyone do it? How do you make dinner at a reasonable hour (before 8pm) when you forget to take something out of the freezer? Plus, dinner is normally leftovers for my guys lunch the next day. If I don't make an extra plate, then I would have to figure out a lunch for him. How do you remember what you have in the pantry so I'm not buying extras at the last second.

Trying to shop with a mind-set of not spending useless dollars is harder than I thought!

2 comments:

valley view farm said...

Wow! You silly girl. I think the fire is a totally reasonable use of money, and, like you said, it will make your power bill smaller.

One thing I normally do is a weekly menu plan. I only started a few months ago, but it is amazing. I first thought what a waste of time, but, it actually saves time.

On sunday, I look at my pantry, fridge and freezer with a pad of paper in hand and decide what I can make for the week. I write down each meal and the things I have to buy. I am then left with a grocery list, although usually I make so many substitutions I don't have much to buy!

Besides the handy list I have, I also have my weeks meals planned. Generally I post these on my blog and can prepare the next days meals ahead of time, get stuff thawed, soak beans in water, or whatever!

try it, even for a couple days out of the week.

hope that helps!

Shopaholic in rehab said...

Thanks Erin,
I will try making a menu on Sundays; during the week after my commute I just want to eat and veg out in front of the TV. Hopefully I can remember to take the stuff out of the freezer or I could just do it on Sundays... mmmm I will have to figure it out.

Olivia