Thursday, February 19, 2009

Weekend Parent

It's actually pretty amazing what talking actually does for kids; who would have thought!?! Since talking with L after Christmas about being more responsible and talking to her mom about making sure she packs her suitcase with appropriate clothing we have not had any problems! It was nice to see that after a friendly conversation she respected my wishes to make sure L had clothes or something to play with at our house on during her visits with us. In fact, L had done such a good job of this that I allowed her to take home her new clothes (from Christmas) and even a few of her toys. I keep reminding L that if she takes care of her nice things and brings them back and forth, she will continue to get nice things to take back and forth.

In the past few months we have been trying to go have dinner with her on our "off" weeks; this seems to be good for L and my guy! Tonight we will be going to visit her again; we will be using a restaurant coupon I bought from here. This is also becoming a nice treat for my guy to get to help her with homework. Plus we are learning more about activities she wants to be involved with!

NOW the next problem I think we need to try to work on is getting her out of her bedroom. I'm happy she is comfortable in her room and knows that is "her" place but unless we are playing Wii or eating, she sits in her room. I've asked her a few times to come sit out with me in the living room and after huffing and puffing, she does. Maybe it's just the age of wanting to be alone or not with your parents but when we only see her 4 days; call me crazy I think she should hang out on the couch or where ever we are. Or is this selfish? Honestly I don't think there is a happy medium but it's worth asking around. I know most people that read my blog have kids so it's nice to hear your opinions.

No comments: