Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cooking from scratch

Since I have decided to be healthy and try to slim down some, I have decided to try to cook alot more from scratch. Up until now, that's exactly what it was "deciding" to cook. But last night for some crazy reason I got motivated and made granola bars from scratch from this recipe. Since I don't like raisins, I changed it up a bit; I added chopped walnuts and Reese Peanut Butter Chips ... yummm ... For my first try it wasn't so bad; I had NO clue how long they would take to cook, which pushed dinner back (sorry), but to my pleasant surprise, they came out GREAT. Ok, I think they were great FOR a first try. I think next time I will add in a few chocolate chips and more nuts. Do you realize how hard it is to find Wheat Germ when you have NO clue what your looking for? Thankgoodness my guy is not afraid to ask for help granted this might have something to do with walking up and down EVERY aisle in 2 different stores. LOL I think tonight I'm going to try to figure out exactly what the calorie and fat count is to make sure it's worth my time. I also need to figure out how to come up with the cost of making them. Does anyone know how I would calculate this? I spent a total of $17.72; but I did buy 2 containers of the oatmeal. I only bought 2 in hopes these would turn out OK and I would like to make them again(plus I had a dollar off coupon)! I didn't have to buy the basics; brown sugar, salt, cinnamon or applesauce.

Sorry, I would have posted a picture, but I ate mine already. I will try again next time!

1 comment:

valley view farm said...

I try to figure cost for things all the time. Its easy if you dont mind a rough estimate. I even write all the numbers on the recipe right in the book!

Basically, start with oatmeal for example. Say it was $3 and you used half of it. That would be $1.50, write that next to the oatmeal ingredient. Butter was $2 and you used 1 cube that would be .50, write that next to butter.

Then, add up all the prices and divide by how many you made. I know your no fool, hope I didnt dumb it down too much!! Good luck! and remember you cannot even factor in the cost of the whole foods you used versus all the chemicals and processed crap in regular granola bars! Thats worth way more!